Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Taking Instead of Giving

1 John3:16-18 “This is how we know what love is: Jesus Christ laid down his life for us. And we ought to lay down our lives for our brothers. If anyone has material possessions and sees his brother in need but has no pity on him, how can the love of God be in him? Dear children, let us not love with words or tongue but with actions and in truth.”
I don’t enjoy taking things from people.  This usually means money.  I picked an item up for my friend not too long ago and she was going to give me the money for it when I dropped it off.  I felt terrible taking the money from her even though I had no obligation to pay for it.  A couple of years ago, around Christmas, I was on my way to make a payment.  I stopped by my work first.  Upon returning to my car, I pulled out my wallet and realized my money was gone.  Come to find out, I had set it in my lap after stopping at the ATM and it had fallen out.  A few weeks later I had a note on my windshield.  I pulled it out and found the same amount of money I had lost, wrapped in the folds of the paper.  I found out later it was from a close friend of mine who felt bad I had lost so much money.  I told her she didn’t have to do that and I wanted her to take it back.  She stopped me and replied, “Just let me bless you.”  My heart swelled to have a friend want to bless me!  We always get stuck on making sure we bless other people.  We never think that God is going to ask us to put our pride aside so that others can bless us.  It always seems it should be the other way around!  God tells us to show our love by giving and helping each other.  So, the next time somebody wants to do something nice for you, don’t be so quick to shut them down, God just may be wanting to bless you and show you you’re loved.
Proverbs 29:23 “Pride lands you flat on your face; humility prepares you for honors.”

No comments:

Post a Comment