Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Slow and Steady


Proverbs 13:11 “Easy come, easy go, but steady diligence pays off.”

People always say, “A watched pot never boils.”  I was like, “These people are nuts to think it won’t boil if you watch the dad gum thing!”  I stand corrected.  It takes 10-15 minutes for an average pot of water to start boiling.  I sat there and watched that pot for a good 20 minutes and it didn’t do one blasted bubble.  As soon as I walked away and came back it was boiling so much it almost made a mess on the stove.  Come to find out, I hadn’t watched the pot for 20 minutes it had only been 5.  I’ve come to the conclusion that the reason why it seems to never boil when you watch it is because you’re so focused on it that the time barely inches by.  If you’re not focused on it, the time passes by much quicker.  We tend to get so focused on things that are to come in our life that we get discouraged because it feels like it’s never going to happen.  We need to put our attention on the small steps leading up to the very thing we are most excited about.  The small steps are the ones that matter the most because those are the ones that are going to connect the stones of our path together so that we can reach our destination.

Psalm 119:5 “Oh, that my steps might be steady, keeping to the course you set.”

No comments:

Post a Comment