Friday, October 14, 2011

Foot in Mouth Syndrome


Proverbs 13:3 “Careful words make for a careful life; careless talk may ruin everything.”

Have you ever been in a room with about 45 women over the age of 50?  It sounds like you’re in a huge mall.  It seems gossiping is a big thing for a lot of women who get older and find themselves with nothing better to do, not only older women but women in general.  We talk far too much which it’s natural for women to think through all their thoughts with their mouth.  Because women have this problem they have to work harder at controlling what comes out of their mouth.  I often will says things and then realize I shouldn’t have but I’ve already said it making it too late to take back.  I like to do “your mom” jokes quite a bit.  If someone says something like, “That’s a fat cow!”  I will just repeat part of what they said with the phrase “your mom” attached to it.  So it would sound something like, “Your mom is a fat cow.”  I’ve said this line so many times just playing around that it just comes out without me thinking about it sometimes.  People who don’t have a mom don’t find it too funny, so I’ve learned.  I’ve randomly said this to a kid who had his mom die and then instantly was scolding myself and trying to backpedal but it had already done its job and the look on his face proved it.  We have no excuse and we can’t just says, oops or blow it off by saying you were just kidding.  Words stick with people and can either lift them up or bring them down.  Everyone wants to say that words don’t have any power, but they do.  Kids in school kill themselves over words.  So, the next time you’re getting ready to blurt something out, check yourself and examine what the outcome could be, you might find out it’s really not worth saying anyways.

Ephesians 4:29 “Watch the way you talk. Let nothing foul or dirty come out of your mouth. Say only what helps, each word a gift.”

No comments:

Post a Comment