Thursday, October 27, 2011

Nothin' Hidden

James 5:16 “Make this your common practice: Confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you can live together whole and healed.”
I grew up in a good, Christian home.  Our beliefs got deeper and deeper as I grew older.  We were involved in a lot of ministries and because of that I was expected to be an example for those that we interacted with.  When I began my rebellious stent, I hid everything I did because I was ashamed and didn’t want everyone to see what I had done.  After all, I was supposed to be this sweet, little angel, right?  I woke up every day in fear that someone was going to figure out my secrets and I was going to have to face the real me.  I fell into a bad depression and I was miserable.  One day, my mom and I got into a fight and I just broke down in tears and yelled out everything I had done.  I was so broken that I didn’t care anymore I just wanted to be free from the weight that was dragging me down.  From that day, I have not hidden one thing.  Even if it seems small and ridiculous, I tell it to one of my family members anyway.  It will literally drive me insane if I keep anything in.  I used to hate being corrected and nobody enjoys it, but lately, I find myself more enjoying the corrections I hear rather than hating them.  I allowed God to bring me to the point where only He mattered and no one else.  Even though I try really hard, I will still have family members approach me and ask me to clarify things.  They know I don’t want to keep things hidden so they keep me accountable and help me make sure everything stays in the light.  I’ve been there and I can tell you, it feels amazing to not be weighed down by fears and secrets.  Tell someone that you respect about anything you feel you’re hiding.  You won’t miss out on the consequences of your actions but, the joyful, liberating feeling that floods your soul when it’s all unhidden makes it all worthwhile. 
Proverbs 12:15 “Fools are headstrong and do what they like; wise people take advice.”

No comments:

Post a Comment