Thursday, October 13, 2011

Blessing or a Curse?

Galatians 6:7-8 “Don't be misled: No one makes a fool of God. What a person plants, he will harvest. The person who plants selfishness, ignoring the needs of others—ignoring God!—harvests a crop of weeds. All he'll have to show for his life is weeds! But the one who plants in response to God, letting God's Spirit do the growth work in him, harvests a crop of real life, eternal life.”
I’ve been getting a lot more hours at work recently that involve me being there during the day.  Sometimes I get to meet exceptional people that just seem to stick out from the crowd.  Today I just so happened to have one of those exceptional people come in.  A woman who was taking a nutrition class online was having trouble dealing with a file that had a chart on it that the teacher had wanted the whole class to fill out and turn back in.  I deal with files all day and after quirking with it for a minute I realized we were going to have to just make our own chart instead of use the whole file the teacher provided.  I slipped into my word processing program and made a chart within a couple of minutes to match the one in the file.  She didn’t understand any of what I was doing and was very thankful that I was able to clear the whole thing up for her and make it easier for her to complete.  Shortly after she left the office I got an email from her telling me that I was a blessing.  I was like, “Where has this lady been all the other days I’ve been at work?!”  It feels wonderful to be able to bring relief or joy into someone’s life and in turn, they’re most likely to return the favor.  You reap what you sow.  Not everyone is going to be nice to you just because you’re nice to them but nine times out of ten they will.  For example, when someone says something snotty to you because they’re frustrated, replying in a calm, nice tone will help calm them and keep the conversation from turning into an argument.  If you reply in the same tone they had, it turns into something that it shouldn’t.  Sow in joy and you will reap joy.  Sow in blessings and you will reap blessings.
Luke 6:31 “Here is a simple rule of thumb for behavior: Ask yourself what you want people to do for you; then grab the initiative and do it for them!”

No comments:

Post a Comment