Monday, September 19, 2011

The Tongue


Proverbs 18:21 “Words kill, words give life; they're either poison or fruit—you choose.”

The other day my twin sister was telling me a story about how a lady at her church told her she had a cute pregnant belly…she wasn’t pregnant.  She informed the lady of this only for the lady to awkwardly walk off.  Sometimes we open our mouths before thinking things through.  My dad’s favorite line as I was growing up was, “Less talk is better.”  He still uses it.  We need to learn to listen more than we talk.  My dad used to tell me to wait and listen a bit before I asked a question because if I waited I may get my question answered before I even have to ask it.  Our example is Jesus.  You don’t hear God just jabbering all the time.  No, He listens to everything we complain about or rattle off to Him.  Then after listening to all of our talk He speaks and guides us but that involves us being quiet at some point to hear Him.  Your mouth is an output device while your ears are input devices.  If you’re always putting out how can you ever take in?  The tongue can be a deadly weapon and we forget this daily.  Use it sparingly and as a weapon of life rather than death.  

James 1:19 “My dear brothers and sisters, take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry…”

No comments:

Post a Comment