Thursday, September 8, 2011

8-Mile Hike


Psalm 34:4 “I sought the Lord, and He answered me, and delivered me from all my fears.”

Recently my family and I decided to go for a walk on a nature trail near my twin sister’s house.  As we started out on the marked trail, it was quite enjoyable.  3.8 miles later we realize the trail doesn’t curve around to where we started so we have to walk another 3.8 miles back.  It was getting dark and the temperature was dropping.  The grumbling started in.  Nobody was happy about the fact that we expected to walk about a mile or so and ended up walking 8.  In life we start out on our path and as long as everything is looking peachy we’re ok with it.  As soon as things start to look drear we aren’t happy anymore.  How can we expect life to go perfectly when we live in a world thriving on sin?  Life will never be hunky dory 24/7 yet we’re surprised when even the slightest of things goes wrong.  We should be encouraged by the fact that we’re in the knowing.  We know trials are going to come, great and small and we have the best weapon to stand against it-Jesus.  So, we need to keep a positive attitude, smile, and have faith that God is going to make whatever it is we’re going through, come through to be wonderful.  It’s hard because you will get that sinking feeling in your stomach and lose your appetite when you realize something awful is beginning.  That’s when you pray for the peace that passes all understanding to come and settle your heart and soul into a calm, faithful rest.  Praise God that we have that at our fingertips, if only we would use it more often.

Exodus 33:14 “My presence will go with you, and I will give you rest.”

No comments:

Post a Comment