Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Disappointment

Romans 5:3-5 “We gladly suffer, because we know that suffering helps us to endure.  And endurance builds character, which gives us a hope that will never disappoint us.”
Have you ever been super excited about something you’re getting or doing and then after you get it or do it the excitement seemed a little over done?  For example, when I was younger I wanted to get braces because for whatever reason they were the cool, stylish thing to have at the time.  Plus, they gave you perfect teeth.  I waited and waited and begged and went to appointments before finally getting them on.  Two days after having them I wanted them off.  They hurt so bad I could barely stand sticking a straw in my mouth.  After I adjusted to it there were still rules I had to follow so the braces wouldn’t break.  I couldn’t eat gum, most candy, nuts, and various things that were too hard for the braces to withstand.  It wasn’t cool at all and definitely not what I expected.  It reminds me of when I was young and we would get cards before Christmas day.  My mom wouldn’t let us open them but would place them on the tree until Christmas morning.  Cards mean money, right?  Well, one year each of us girls got a card that sat up on the tree for a week before Christmas day.  It was torture!  Finally, when Christmas morning rolled around, we jumped at the cards on the tree only to find out there was nothing in them.  That’s when you get that awkward feeling and you’re like, “Oh, pretty card.”  Life is full of disappointments, unexpected occurrences, and let downs.  If you overreact in dealing with them or harbor them inside and become bitter, your whole life will be taken over by these little bends in the road.  While driving you just simply tilt the wheel to adjust to the bend.  When disappointments come up in your road, just tilt your wheel and flow with it, don’t let it ruin your life.  That would be like getting all exasperated every time you came to a turn while driving.  Seems a little ridiculous, huh? 
Isaiah 54:4 “Don't be afraid or ashamed and don't be discouraged.”

No comments:

Post a Comment