Sunday, September 4, 2011

Living Among the Unknowing


Romans 12:11 “Never be lacking in zeal, but keep your spiritual fervor, serving the Lord.”

I love those conversations where you ask someone if they’ve ever heard of a TV show and they answer with, “I’ve never even heard of it.”  This certain TV show just so happens to be one of your favorites and you’re floored that they seriously have never heard about it.  Unfortunately, this also means the story you were getting ready to tell is going to be lost on the person because they wouldn’t have the remotest idea of what you’re talking about.  It usually takes me a bit to get over the fact they’ve never seen the show and sometimes I will badger them until they do watch it.  Sometimes living as a Christian, we get into the habit of flippantly talking about things from the bible or things we’ve learned along the way in our relationship with Christ.  There are a lot of people who will look at you strange and say, “I’ve never heard of it.”  It most of the time will floor you because it’s such a common thing for you.  I grew up in church and all the bible stories and “churchy” words are not uncommon to me and my family.  Our band played a while back at a park that was on a street filled with churches and a bible college.  There was a group of kids that wanted to sing a song so my mom asked if they knew Jesus Loves Me.  All of them shook their heads no and my mom was shocked.  She continued to ask, “Well, have you ever heard of Jesus?”  All of the kids looked at her funny and said no.  My mother was appalled that a town filled with so many churches and a bible school would have children who had never even heard the name of Jesus.  I sometimes will be so surprised by someone saying they’ve never heard of Him that I will slightly hassle them trying to figure out if they’re sure they hadn’t or maybe just forgot.  A lot of times I will offend people and push them away by doing this.  When you live among the unknowing you can’t force something new and strange on them because this will make them uncomfortable and want to just get away from it.  Like you would with telling someone about your favorite TV show, let them know how amazing God is and how exciting it can be to have them in their life.  

John 10:10 “A thief is only there to steal, kill, and destroy.  I came so they can have real and eternal life, more and better life than they ever dreamed of.”

No comments:

Post a Comment