Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Repaying Evil

Romans 12:21 “Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.”


I get so stuck in my attitude sometimes.  I’m stubborn and don’t like to be pushed around.  Someone will say something mean or rude and I’ll clam up like a kid not wanting to take their medicine.  I’ve learned to keep my mouth shut, for the majority of the time, but you can still see the steam roiling off my head when something goes down I don’t like.  I had a friend tell me once to combat those spiteful feelings by doing something nice for the person who is ticking you off.  I replied with, “In that moment, I feel like me being nice to them is not decking them like I want to.”  That was the point, apparently.  To war against our own feelings and the rudeness of the other person, good has to come into play.  Instead of just not saying anything or not punching them, go a step further and do something for them.  Use actions and not words.  It doesn’t have to be extravagant.  We need to repay evil with good.  Don’t do something for the person if in your heart you’re thinking it will just eat them alive if you do.  Do it with the intent of bringing peace and being an example. 


1 Peter 3:9 "Do not repay evil with evil or insult with insult. On the contrary, repay evil with blessing, because to this you were called so that you may inherit a blessing."

No comments:

Post a Comment