Monday, November 28, 2011

Let Meeeeeeeeeee Do it


Hosea 13:4-6 “I'm still your God, the God who saved you out of Egypt I'm the only real God you've ever known.  I'm the one and only God who delivers.  I took care of you during the wilderness hard times, those years when you had nothing.  I took care of you, took care of all your needs, gave you everything you needed.  You were spoiled. You thought you didn't need me.  You forgot me.”

My family has the gift of being able to learn things very quickly.  We’ve gotten into the habit of believing we can just do it after only seeing it be done once.  Most of the time we can, but sometimes we can’t.  After we’ve seen it once, though, we don’t want to be shown again, we want to punt and figure the rest out on our own.  In our walk with God, just starting out, we need to be shown how everything works.  Like a baby learning how to walk and talk, we need to be taught how to begin walking and talking like Christ.  Once we get to a certain point where we’re feeling confident that we’ve got it, we set God aside and say, “Alright, I’ve got this.  I don’t need to be shown anymore.”  Not true.  There’s always something to be learning and without God guiding us and showing us how, we can screw it up.  There’s no punting after that.  When I was learning how to crochet from my twin sister, I would think I had it and then mess it up so bad I had no idea how to start over.  It would be a tangled mess and she would have to patiently undo it and show me where I went wrong and guide me back through it.  Even as a mature Christian, you will always need God guiding you, no matter how good you think you’ve got it.

1 Peter 2:3 “Now, like infants at the breast, drink deep of God's pure kindness. Then you'll grow up mature and whole in God.”

No comments:

Post a Comment