Sunday, November 20, 2011

A Gift


Romans 6:23 “For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.”

I love free stuff.  Who doesn’t?  My first car was an ’89 Toyota Camry our neighbors and close friends of ours, gave me.  It was a little old but ran for a year and a half before I had to get a new one.  A few years after that, my parents got given a new Ford F-150 truck.  My dad is still driving it.  With as much as this world runs on money and relies on it, isn’t it nice to not have to worry about coming up with it to get our needs covered?  Car lots are always saying, “All you need is $500 down and you could be driving away with your new car today!”  Of course, you have to make payments on the car you drive away with for years after you get it before you actually own it.  We don’t have to give a down payment to receive the gift God has for us.  He not only gives us the gift of salvation for free but He gives many other gifts along the way if only we will reach out our hand and take them.  It’s that simple.  I’ve had many new Christians be surprised that it was so easy.  They were speculative because it was so easy.  They expected to have to jump through hoops and stand on their head while juggling elephants to be able to get the amazing gift of freedom.  God offers so much but that’s what it comes down to-freedom.  You’re free from the curse of sin and are no longer ruled by the world’s standards.  Accept what He has to offer and taste its sweet relief.  Just when I was trying to save for my new car and was overwhelmed at having to try and save the money to get it, I was relieved when that burden was lifted with a free car.  Sin comes with a cost; the gift of life-real, free life is given freely.  

2 Corinthians 3:17 “For the Lord is the Spirit, and wherever the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom.”

No comments:

Post a Comment