Monday, December 5, 2011

Our Gimcracks


Romans 12:1 “So here’s what I want you to do, God helping you: Take your everyday, ordinary life-your sleeping, eating, going-to-work, and walking-around life-and place it before God as an offering.”

Yesterday at church, my mom had lost her voice and could barely be heard as she gave the lesson.  When it came time to read the scripture she had me read it for her.  I read out of the Message version which usually says things more modernly.  As I read out of Amos, it used the word ‘gimcrack.’  I had never heard the term before, although I guessed at its general meaning.  When I looked it up, the dictionary said a gimcrack was, “A cheap and showy object.”  Bam!  It smacked me in the face.  What are you offering God?  Are you coming before Him with your random objects or acts that mean nothing?  Don’t make a show of doing something for Christ.  Give Him your all or don’t give Him anything.  Don’t offer something that looks good to our eyes but is useless to Him.  If you want to serve Him, give Him what’s worth the most…your life.

Proverbs 3:9 “Honor God with everything you own; give Him the first and the best.”

No comments:

Post a Comment