Thursday, July 14, 2016

Too Much Entertainment, Yo!

Set your minds on things that are above, not on things that are on earth. ~ Colossians 3:2

I’m really bad about eaves dropping. I’ll admit it. I’m a talker but in a big crowd I stay very quiet because I hate big crowds. At these moments, I’m able to get tid bits from various conversations. It’s like flipping through channels on TV. “Too much drama, boring, boring, sports, Disney, boring, boring, ohhhhh, what do we have here?” Yes, that’s exactly how it goes in my head. Anyways, you would be surprised at how some of these little overheard conversations can inspire us orrrr not so much. It’s usually the not so much and you sometimes would like to hand out a tongue lashing but you have to remember you were eaves dropping. Oops. I overheard a conversation one time that seriously made me take a second look at how I view church. There was a small group of teens discussing the youth services at their church. One of them thought the youth leader was attractive which was a little comical to me. However, the topic came up about some of them getting bored with church. They felt that the youth pastors weren’t doing enough to entertain them or keep their interest. Their exact words were, “There needs to be more action, more lights, or something.” I got a little annoyed at first but then I realized, wasn’t I just complaining to myself about routines? I’ve been going to church since I was born. I’ve not moved around on churches very often. Right now, I help run a youth outreach and the responsibilities can get heavy because there are few to help. I went through a faze where I felt I wasn’t getting enough out of the service. Listening to that conversation made me realize that I was being a big baby. I don’t go to church to be entertained and it definitely is not meant to entertain us. Church is a place where we can learn and spend time with other Christians as a way to stay encouraged and ready for the crap life can throw at us. Church is sure as heck not a movie theatre or a concert where we need to be entertained twice a week. If YOU want to get something out of church, it is up to YOU. Open up and truly listen to the words. Shoot, you may not agree but there’s still learning in not agreeing with something a pastor has to say. It is not a pastor’s job to say something you will always agree with or to say something that will tickle your fancy. When you walk into church, forget about everything and just focus on God. Let Him wash over you and ready you for walking back out that door to face life. We don’t need entertainment for that, we just need to be still and quit focusing on ourselves so much and focus on God. Gathering as the church always meant focusing on the worship of God, not on the worship of ourselves and the need for entertainment. Don't get me wrong, music, lights, and dancing isn't wrong to have in the church, it's when it becomes our sole focus and we can't have church without it that it becomes a hindrance. 


What is the outcome then, brethren? When you assemble, each one has a psalm, has a teaching, has a revelation, has a tongue, has an interpretation Let all things be done for edification. ~ 1 Corinthians 14:26

No comments:

Post a Comment